BLCK VC is thrilled to announce the launch of the Second Cohort of our NYC Path Program this spring! We’re excited to continue our partnership with Lerer Hippeau and Anthemis to implement this program.
Last Fall, we launched the inaugural NYC Path Program, with 21 Fellows from investment banking, management consulting, and tech. These NYC Path Fellows dove into topics like economics of the venture industry, how to develop their investment thesis, and the deal sourcing and due diligence process in venture. They built a community of peers that are continuing to stay engaged and support each other. We’re thrilled to bring in the next NYC Path Program Cohort to join our community!
About the Program:
The NYC Path Program is creating an onramp for New York City-based Black professionals to discover jobs in venture capital through educational programming, community connections, and mentorship. Our goal is to equip the Cohort with a meaningful understanding of the industry, practical tools, and a network that will set them up to pursue venture capital roles in the future.
The Second Cohort will consist of 25 fellows from industries like banking, startups, consulting, and more. Our eight-week program will help these Fellows gain a better understanding of the venture industry. The program will begin on May 10th and end on July 2nd. Fellows must be able to commit three hours per week to programming.
- Curriculum/Programming: Tailored content and weekly training sessions lay the foundation for the program, providing the Fellows with a firm understanding of the industry. These sessions are led by seasoned investors and industry experts.
- Mentorship: The Fellows are segmented into a small group of peers and assigned an investor mentor to provide nuanced, relevant, and tactical insights.
- Monday, May 10th from 3pm-4pm ET: Economics of Venture and Raising a Fund
- Monday, May 17th from 4pm-5pm ET: Early stage due diligence and process through term sheet
- Monday, May 24th from 5pm-6pm ET: Angel Investing
- Wednesday, June 2nd from 4pm-5pm ET: Thesis Investing
- Tuesday, June 8th from 4pm-5pm ET: Sourcing & Evaluating Founders
- Tuesday, June 15th from 3pm-4pm ET: Late-stage Process from Due Diligence Through Term Sheet
- Wednesday, June 16th from 4:30pm-5:30pm ET: Building your platform
- Tuesday, June 22nd from 4pm-5pm ET: Sector Focused vs. Generalist and Transitioning from Finance to Investing
- Candidates are interested in learning more about a career in venture capital and potentially making a transition into the industry.
- Candidates have 5 or more years of full-time work experience in banking, consulting, tech, or startups and have a demonstrated interest in investing, startups, or entrepreneurship.
- Candidates are based in and are looking to continue building their career in New York City.
If selected, Fellows must be able to dedicate three hours per week to the program.
The program will be fully remote. To apply, complete the application here. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 16th at 11:59pm ET.
Thanks to our participating Venture Capital firms:
If your firm is hiring, let it be known. We will share aligned opportunities with our cohort to facilitate the matching of top talent with firms. To share job opportunities, you must:
- Submit the job description and application link here
- If there is a match, we’ll help facilitate introductions to candidates who have opted in.
- This is a two-way street. We will only share candidate information with firms that have shared details of a role that they are actively trying to fill.
BLCK VC is a 501(c)(3)-pending nonprofit organization that equips Black investors with the access, education, and community they need to accelerate their careers in venture capital. We do not accept the status quo; we are driving the industry forward by pushing venture capital firms to become more inclusive in their hiring, deal flow, and portfolios. BLCK VC aims to transform venture capital into an inclusive engine for change and generational wealth creation by shifting the demographics of the venture industry to mirror the diversity of this nation. In the short term, we strive to double the percentage of Black investors and Black partners in venture capital to 6% and 4%, respectively, by 2024.
Lerer Hippeau is the most active early-stage venture capital fund in New York. The firm has more than 250 active portfolio companies with investments in leading consumer and enterprise companies, including Allbirds, K Health, Guideline, and Axios. Lerer Hippeau invests across all sectors, backing founders with product vision, customer insight, and a keen instinct for brand building.
Anthemis is a venture investment platform founded on three guiding principles: authentic collaboration, virtuous cycle outcomes, and diversity, equity and inclusion. Since 2010, we have been at the center of a vibrant ecosystem of startups and institutions dedicated to reinventing financial services for the digital world. We are committed investors, thoughtful advisors, active conveners and dedicated problem solvers who share a passion for technology and a belief in the transformative power of digital financial services.