Announcing Breaking into Venture Cohort 2
This summer, 11 brilliant and determined young professionals from across the country participated in the inaugural BLCK VC Breaking into Venture (BiV) Program, a fellowship for aspiring venture capital investors.
These 11 BiV Fellows participated in a rigorous curriculum that included venture finance & modeling, market mapping & due diligence, developing their VC job search process, and techniques for sourcing deals & supporting entrepreneurs. Our Fellows were mentored and supported by amazing investors and founders from firms including In-Q-Tel, Radian Capital, Public Comps, Maveron, Storm Ventures, Redpoint, and Cowboy Ventures. These investors provided critical insights around navigating a successful career in venture, including strategies for cultivating their networks, refining their investment theses, and defining a differentiated professional identity. The Fellows from Cohort 1 built a community of peers, mentors, and supporters that they can lean on and collaborate with going forward. This dynamic group has become a part of the BLCK VC family and we can’t wait to welcome another cohort into our community this Spring.
We’re thrilled to open applications for Breaking into Venture Cohort 2 and usher in a new class of future investors. Kicking off in March, our 9-week program is designed to help chart a path into venture for young professionals actively looking to make a career change. The program is primarily anchored in bi-weekly meetings, with each session guided by veteran fund managers, entrepreneurs, and established venture investors. These individuals will provide context around their career journeys, as well as insight into developing investment frameworks, grasping venture capital fundamentals, and what it means to navigate a career grounded in building relationships with other investors & supporting founders.
At BLCK VC, our goal is to highlight the brilliant VC candidates in our community and equip them with the tools they need to successfully launch their venture capital careers — we’re excited to see our community continue to grow!
**Applications are now open. Apply here to be a part of Breaking into Venture Cohort 2**
To learn more about the program, head over to our Breaking into Venture Homebase.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our 9-week program is designed to prepare participants for a successful transition into venture capital at the Analyst, Associate, and Senior Associate levels.
- Curriculum/Programming: Tailored content and bi-weekly lessons serve as the foundation for scaling the venture capital learning curve. Seasoned investors and industry experts will provide nuanced guidance and insights.
- Individualized Mentorship: Weekly mentor check-ins enable BiV Fellows to collaboratively design their personal roadmap into venture capital, receive project feedback, and build their network.
- Project-Based Learning: Thesis building and experiential learning helps to refine industry perspectives and to apply weekly learnings.
- Early career professionals who graduated Class of 2015–2019.
- Ideal candidates have 1–5 years of full-time work experience and are actively looking to make the transition into VC.
- Individuals who identify as Black or African American.
- Creating your ‘VC Process’ + Thesis Workshop
- Venture Finance 101
- Frameworks: Evaluating Founders and Business Models
- Market Mapping and Due Diligence
- Sourcing Deals and Supporting Entrepreneurs
It’s simple — we want to help you find your first job in venture. Here’s how it works:
The application process is broken into two parts.
- Complete the standard candidate application.
- Submit a list of 3 companies you would invest in and why –OR– provide us with an investment thesis on a sector of your choice.
With your permission, we will share your profile with funds and help facilitate introductions when/if there is a match.
- Application deadline is February 16th, 2021
- Program Dates: March 4th — May 1st
- Session Cadence: Our group will meet bi-weekly for 2 hours. We will also host optional sessions on the “Off-weeks”
We are the change that we seek!